- 1/3 cup (85 grams) white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons molasses (or honey)
- 3 small (120 grams each) zucchini or yellow squash or mix of both, halved
- 1 medium (110 grams each) white onion, cut into thick chunks
- 1 medium (120 grams) red bell pepper, cut into thick chunks
- 2 medium (60 grams each) carrots, quartered
- 2 3/4 cups (660 grams) low-sodium vegetable broth (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 1/2 cups (255 grams) uncooked quinoa (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and molasses in a large bowl or zip top plastic bag. Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper and carrots; seal and toss to coat. Let marinate 15 to 30 minutes while quinoa cooks.
- Bring 1 3/4 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in quinoa. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat gas grill to medium-high heat. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade.
- Grill vegetables in a grill basket or on greased grill grate for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until tender. Cool slightly and chop vegetables into bite-size pieces.
- Combine quinoa, grilled vegetables and reserved marinade in a large bowl. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Per serving: Calories: 361; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 559mg; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 11g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 430mg; Iron: 20%; Vitamin A: 127%; Vitamin C: 93%; Calcium: 8%
Energizing Tips (optional)
Serve with 1 hardboiled egg to increase calories, protein and fat.
(Per serving: Calories: 431; Fat: 15g; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 17g)
Serve with 1 (3-ounce) grilled chicken breast to increase calories and lean protein.
(Per serving: Calories: 471; Fat: 13g; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 33g)
recipe credit and image to myfitnesspal.com